"A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic...don't you think
A little too ironic...and, yeah, I really do think...

It's like rain on your wedding day

It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought... it figures"

viernes, 23 de mayo de 2008

Now, Back at School 2

March 27th, 2008
Second day

Today was really exhausting. In my school, three teachers had to go to Fundación Belen Educa to attend some kind of seminary. Because of this, the rest of my group had to be teaching alone. That was not my case, so I decided to ask Ximena if I could go and help Katherine. She said “no problem”



However I helped Kathy, I had some classes with Ximena. I noticed how she makes every class a sort of competition because she gives a sticker for every student as a prize for the winning row. Moreover, she prepares funny and relevant material for the kids to learn nouns (toys), colors and numbers. Also, she uses body language so the kids can remember the words when they see certain movement. Another useful activity is to ask certain questions every day, such as What day is today? And what’s the date? I think this is a very good technique because the kids will always remember these certain questions and answers.


Although the good things I like about Ximena as a teacher, I don’t like some things about her. For example, many times she has severe reactions to some kids’ behavior, such as kicking them out and even making fun of them in front of everybody. She also has the misconception of school as only existing for students to study and not as an institution that creates a culture and has many relationships within the people inside of it. Ximena almost never treats the kids with some love.

As far as I’ve seen, the school is really good because the small kids really learn. It also accomplishes its purpose of helping people because it provides good meals to the students. Another good thing, in my opinion, is the time for English. This is only one pedagogical hour, twice or three times a week. In this way, kids don’t get really bored with more time doing the same.

My experience with Katherine in 5°c was really terrifying. When I arrived to the classroom, Kathy was standing there in silence as hoping for a miracle to happen. All the students were making noise and standing without even noticing we were there. I did not know how to start, how to tell them to be quiet and how to start working. Kathy started handing out some activities and I shouted for them to listen the instructions and the explanation of why Miss Rosita was not there. To conclude, I must tell you that it was scary and exhausting and luckily we made them sing and revise the numbers.


As I said before, this is only the beginning and I’m looking forward for more.

No hay comentarios: